Friday, June 3, 2011

Jesus in my Heart

"You can't see Jesus, because He lives in hearts.  Only I don't want Jesus to bring in too many sticks to my heart, because that would give me a tummyache."                                              -Alaina (3 1/2)

I can't help but laugh at Alaina's thoughts about how Jesus lives in our hearts.  Given that we have been observing a mommy bird with her little baby birds in a nest in Alaina's playhouse, I am pretty sure she thinks Jesus makes a nest in our hearts!  

I read a really incredible book this past week.  It is called Riven, by Jerry B. Jenkins.  In the foreword, he says that it is his finest work.  As a writer myself- this really intrigued me!  Often, the works that I perceive as my finest- or my most favorite- are not the ones that are favored by other people.  I could see where the book was leading from about page 22, but yet I couldn't put it down!  I was drawn to the two lead characters because they were so unlikely.  And the marriage between Thomas and his wife was inspiring to me- and the reality of church work or being in the mission field was glaringly truthful.  I highly recommend reading this story- it really reinforces my current convictions that we consistently sell God short- we don't believe that He is capable of doing even more than we can imagine.  And we certainly believe there are limits on God's power and where and how He will choose to reveal Himself.  This book will challenge your beliefs- and hopefully open up your eyes to our amazing Lord.
'
I have a new favorite song this week- I will post the lyrics.  It is by Laura Story, and called "Blessings"
 We pray for blessings
We pray for peace
Comfort for family, protection while we sleep
We pray for healing, for prosperity
We pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering
All the while, You hear each spoken need
Yet love us way too much to give us lesser things

Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You’re near
What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise

We pray for wisdom
Your voice to hear
And we cry in anger when we cannot feel You near
We doubt Your goodness, we doubt Your love
As if every promise from Your Word is not enough
All the while, You hear each desperate plea
And long that we'd have faith to believe

Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You’re near
And what if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise

When friends betray us
When darkness seems to win
We know the pain reminds this heart
That this is not, this is not our home

Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
And what if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You’re near
What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy
And what if trials of this life
The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
Are Your mercies in disguise

I think all Christians really struggle with disappointment.  We have trouble understanding why God would let us suffer when we are "Good" Christians.  This song is such a great reminder that all of those setbacks and disappointments we have experienced keep us on our knees- and keep us close to God.  We all feel that familiar ache around our hearts- when things just don't seem right.  That ache is God reminding us that our souls were meant for paradise- and goodness knows I need that ache to remind me that God is longing for me!  Listen to this song- transcribe it on your heart.  


No comments:

Post a Comment